27 May 2015

SHANGHAI STROM - ALILA JAKARTA


In the midst of our busy schedule, I think Chinese food is great for our break time! For Chinese food, today we chose this place called Shanghai Storm by Alila Jakarta, well the name can't be more obvious, right? :p Shanghai Storm is an open kitchen and also a Chinese-styled modern bistro!



Stepping into the restaurant, I bet that even if you don't know the name or that it's Chinese, you could still guessed it! The whole room screams Chinese, from the evident red color, to the table setting!



Here's the open kitchen by the way and they have the usual tables or if you came with a large group, there's the VIP room at the back. The VIP rooms aren't decorated with Chinese decoration but don't be confused, it's still part of Shanghai Storm!


We were welcomed by Marketing Manager, Evi Rumondang and F&B manager, Trisna Djunaedi! Let's not forget the one who's in charge of all the dishes we had, Chef De Cuisine, Suratiman and the person below Executive Chef Alex Ensor!


REMEDY LEMONGRASS
Just by looking at it, you'll know that it's a healthy drink! It's not only healthy but refreshing, I guess that's why it's called a remedy! What I could taste in this is lime, lemongrass, and some greens that I can't really guess!


SPRING ROLL
For a Chinese starters, what's better than spring rolls? I love spring rolls, especially for snacks! These were really crispy and flavorful, the filling was also generous. Yum is all I could say!


DEEP FRIED CHICKEN
Crispy chicken, cashew nut, leek, salt and pepper.

Not a big fan of cashews but the fried chicken was okay. It could use a bit more flavor but other than that, it's all good. The crispiness was perfect and who can deny deep fried foods?



SCALLOP WITH ASPARAGUS
Stir-fried scallop and asparagus in XO sauce.

Amazingly fresh scallop and asparagus covered in a perfect for seafood spicy sauce! At least, it's what it's supposed to be but I think the XO sauce was lacking in the spicy division. They said it's so that it's more universal, yet it's a bit off mark from XO sauce but cause they're a hotel, I guess it's understandable that they need to please the majority!


BRAISED BEAN CURD WITH MINCED BEEF
Bean curd cooked with minced beef Szechuan style.

Again, Szechuan is also a spicy styled but this is lacking on that side! Instead of spicy, it's leaning more to the salty with a hint of sweet, resulting a really comfort food and it goes very well with rice! The bean curd really soft and it had a generous amount of beef!


DEEP FRIED KING PRAWN
Crispy prawn, egg yolk, curry leaf and red chili.

Not my favorite, since most of the food here has light flavors, this one is no different. The usual ones with lots of flavor already lacked any flavors, having light flavor for this one made it a bit tasteless but it does have a hint of saltiness. That's only coming from someone who likes strong flavors though!



PAN FRIED BEEF RIB EYE
Beef rib eye, baby beans served with home made sesame sauce.

This is my only favorite out of all, since the flavor came from the meat itself and I really think that they marinated this very well. Love how tender the meat was and the baby beans as well! This one disappeared in seconds! Lol!



Yeah! My favorite course, DESSERTS!


FRIED DURIAN ICE CREAM
When I first heard about this, I thought that it was an actual fried ice cream, turns out it's just fried durian WITH ice cream..lol! I was expecting that they used actual durian but I think that what they used is just a durian paste and I think the fried dough was a bit too thick. It needs more generous amount of durian!


FRIED MANGO ICE CREAM
Same thing as the fried durian goes for this one as well. The only difference is that this uses mango paste and there's this slight bitter aftertaste but I don't know where it came from! Hope that they'd think of using actual mango or durian for these, cause they could be great!


I'm really sorry for the late updates and it seems that we've abandoned this blog last week but it's a really hectic semester with a lot of projects and thesis and such. I'm really praying that I could update more often next month, since next month will be the day I need to submit my final thesis and I haven't even reached half of it! :'( Wish us luck everyone! Thanks for all your supports! :D

Shanghai Storm
Alila Hotels and Resorts
Jl. Pecenongan kav 7-17
Jakarta Pusat 10120
021-2316008

Opening Hours :
Lunch : 11:00 am - 03:00 pm
Dinner : 05:00 pm - 11:00 pm

WEBSITE
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
INSTAGRAM


1 comment:

  1. Only Thompson's Scandinavian Knife Supply has Puukko knives, EnZo knives, and Scandinavian knives handmade for your everyday needs. Use them for everything from hunting, fishing, and gardening work, to cutting open boxes.

    ReplyDelete