30 August 2014

WU JANG GUN KOREAN GRILL & BBQ


I bet you've also realized that this blog is flooded with Korean and Japanese restaurants, well my adoration for them is infinite, can you blame me? This one is located at Senopati, right beside Maestro Meat Market, near Bornga (another one of the best Korean restaurant), super easy to find.


There's 2 floors with normal table seating on the 1st floor and Korean styled on the 2nd, where you seat on a cushion on the floor with low tables.




The toilet is behind the kitchen for some reason, there's also a wide window that allows us to peek into their kitchen and teases us with the smell of their yummy dishes.






Enjoy the beautiful lighting that creates some kind of an oriental vibe while walking up the stairs.





When I was taking pictures of the 1st floor, the waiter invited me upstairs which I happily accepted, of course. The 2nd floor is only used when the 1st floor is full, though I don't really mind, since the upstairs is too hot cause it's semi-outdoor.




Though I did say that the 2nd floor is Korean styled seating, this one is not cause it's the garden area but still on the 2nd floor.




Now, THIS is the Korean styled seating plus some authentic decorations.


WARNING:

This place is loaded with banchan (side dishes) and I'm not gonna mention each and every one of them..

As you know, the good news about Korean restaurant is that they provide all these banchan that you'll be full even if you only ordered a few main dishes. Here, they have over 10 banchan (depending on their availability) and since I came early, all of the banchan are still available. Yay!







KIMCHI

They have 2 types of Kimchi here; Indonesian modified, which is less spicy or pure Korean's, which is really spicy. Guess Korean's love their spicy foods..




STEAMED EGG

You'll get this delicious steamed egg, 1 portion per 4 people. Psst, this is my favorite out of all the other banchan.






Don't really know what this is but it tastes like caramelized potato.. Interesting.









ANCHOVIES

Korean's also have dry salted anchovies.






Even with the many banchan, they still managed to keep their fresh qualities. They always make fresh homemade banchan every single day, so no using leftovers.



Forgot what this is, either lemonade or lime squash, I'm guessing it's a lime squash.. All I know is that it's super sour and not really compatible to the foods. Don't blame me, I'm not the one who ordered this one..





Other than their barbecued meat, Korean is also famous for their soups and stews and mostly served with rice. Don't remember the name of this one either, but it has rice noodle and beef in it, also you'll get free rice to go with it. The broth is milky white with deep and soothing flavor, you'll feel refreshed afterwards.







GALBI-JJIM IDR 120K
Jjim means steamed and galbi means short rib, generally made with beef or pork short ribs. Not all Korean restaurants in Jakarta has this, this authentic stew is served with rice. The sweet taste is somewhat similar to Indonesian food semur or Chinese food ayam kecap. You have to eat this while it's hot or the sweetness will be too overwhelming, since the stew is really thick and sweet and comes with tender galbi, potato, carrot, and shitake.



JAPCHAE IDR 90K
As you all might have realized, in every Korean restaurant I'd almost always try their Japchae, and after all the Japchae I've tried, I can still say that my favorite is still Arang22's. This sweet potato noodles stir fried in sesame oil with vegetables at Wu Jang Gun is okay, though not better and more expensive, so Arang22 still has my heart when it comes to Japchae.




YUKHOE
For those who doesn't know, Yukhoe is a variety of hoe (raw dishes in Korean cuisine), which are usually made from raw ground beef seasoned with various spices or sauces. Usually the most tender part of beef will be used. I was betting my health for this dish, since normally, regular Korean Yukhoe customers often patronize trusted restaurants or butcher's shops which have well-known, high-quality beef distributors. Mix the egg yolk with the raw meat and it's ready to eat. Yeap! It's eaten raw. At first, I was also unwilling to try it, since it's raw and cold and slimy, but it wasn't so bad after all.




WU JANG GUN YANGNYEOM GALBI IDR 240K
Marinated short ribs, their special and I can see why. Delicious well marinated tender Galbi that just melt in your mouth, might be the best Galbi I've ever tasted! The BEST, no more explanation needed.







Forgive my clumsiness and forgetfulness cause once again, I forgot the name of this menu.. I'm guessing it's a Deungshim or something like that, almost similar to Galbi without the bones. Cooked to a medium is best for this type of meat or it becomes too tough and they cooked it perfectly here!





 


WUSUL IDR 180K
Okay, don't freak out! This is ox tongue, but for those who doesn't like tongue, don't worry cause this taste just like regular meat. The only difference is that it's really thin and tender, so it's like a thin sheet of meat. Though I don't really know how an actual ox tongue is supposed to taste like.





One thing that somehow bothered me is the table.. For a restaurant that offers 8-12 Banchan, they sure did not really prepared the space for it, I almost went Padang style by stacking up the plates. Price wise, Korean restaurant is always expensive, I kinda made a delusional theory that it's expensive cause we actually paid for the Banchan as well, it's a TRICK, everybody! Nah, I'm just kidding, it's most probably because of the heavenly meat and in Korea meat IS expensive. Nevertheless, the foods were satisfying and I wouldn't mind coming back here.

Wu Jang Gun Korean Grill & BBQ
Jl. Wolter Monginsidi No.34
Kebayoran Baru
Jakarta Selatan 12180
(021) 7256181

Opening Hours :
Everyday : 11:00 am - 11:00 pm



No comments:

Post a Comment